BERLIN - A Russian boy who suffered extensive injuries when he was stabbed during a vacation on the Greek island of Crete is being treated at a hospital in Germany. Berlin's Charite hospital said Thursday that the 12-year-old arrived overnight and is being treated in its children's clinic. It said it could give no further information because of patient confidentiality rules. The ...
NYT reports , in just the past two years, the numbers of Greeks engaging in prostitution as a last course source of income has more than doubled: according to the National Center for Social Research, the number of people selling sex has surged 150 percent in the last two ...
ATHENS | Thu May 23, 2013 3:16am EDT ATHENS May 23 (Reuters) - The euro zone may give Greece more time to meet fiscal targets agreed under its international bailout, the chairman of the euro zone finance ministers said in an interview published on Thursday. "The Commission's approach regarding fiscal consolidation is more flexible, giving certain countries more time to meet ...
Taoiseach Enda Kenny will travel to Athens today to meet Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras. The two men are expected to discuss the economic situation in the eurozone, as well as negotiations on the EU's seven-year budget. Greece will take over the rotating EU presidency at the beginning of next year. Mr Kenny will also meet representatives of the Greek business community during his ...
The opening shot of Mabrouk El Mechris JCVD is an astonishing long take in which the camera tracks the eponymous action star Jean-Claude Van Damme as he does what we expect him to be doing: taking out bad guys with round-house kicks, rescuing a hostage, and leaving a lot of fiery explosions and ... ...
(MENAFN) The Bank of Greece announced that the country's current account balance posted a deficit of USD1.65 billion in March from a deficit of USD2.88 billion in 2012's same period, reported Reuters.The central bank added that the figure represents a plunge of 43 percent from a year before.It attributed the declining deficit to deep economic reduction and cost-competitiveness ...
growth in sales over the past half decade — but it may be taking an unexpected toll on the environment. While it takes one cup of milk to produce one cup of traditional yogurt, it ...
The euro zone economy is declining for six consecutive quarters. Nine of the 17 countries are in recession Spain France Italy Finland Netherlands Portugal Cyprus Greece and Slovenia. The austerity policy imposed by the troika and the German govern
The euro zone economy is declining for six consecutive quarters. Nine of the 17 countries are in recession: Spain, France, Italy, Finland, Netherlands, Portugal, Cyprus, Greece and Slovenia. The austerity policy imposed by the troika and the German government of Angela Merkel is sinking Europe. Eurostat data was released on Wednesday (15th) and are relative to GDP in the euro area in the first ...
I understood that they were swearing at me. The female police officer was holding my hair.One of the male officers punched me in my face.My beating went on for approximately five minutes. Then the guard from the Exarheia police station heard my screams, entered the room and tried to take me away from [them]..I was then transferred again to the Exarheia police station where I spent ...
Abu Dhabi-based Aldar Properties has awarded Athena, a subsidiary of Greek firm J&P-AVAX, a €125m contract for the construction, operation and maintenance of marine works, along with roadworks, infrastructure and soft landscaping on Yas Island. The infrastructure works include excavations and earth-moving, roadworks, sanitary and storm water networks, pumping stations, tap water, ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Mantra on Jolimont, East Melbourne, Australia
Right from our arrival the Mantra on Jolimont had an air of friendliness, and a sense that the property was ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Greek HeraldGreek Herald – Online News Agency: Greece News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Greek Herald is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Greek news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Greek news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Greek news, the weather forecast for Greece you'll find it all in the Greek Herald.
From Crete to Athens, the Greek Herald should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Under the baton of Placido Domingo, acclaimed Chilean writer Isabel Allende's short story "Una Venganza" ("An Act of Vengeance") emerges from the printed page as the opera "Dulce Rosa", a production with a Latin heart and Greek tragedy in its soul that premiered Friday in Los Angeles.
"Dulce Rosa" is a further effort by the L.A. Opera, directed by Domingo, to bring lyric opera to a wider audience.
"We're always looking to create new works," the Spanish tenor told EFE.
Domingo got behind the adaptation of "Una Venganza" when the idea was proposed to him by composer Lee Holdridge and librettist Richard Sparks, to whom Allende gave the go-ahead years ago without really expecting anything to come of it, she told EFE.
"It finally emerged, to my surprise," the author of "The House of the Spirits" said, adding that she often receives requests from artists to stage her stories but "only about 10 percent are used as proposed, the rest get lost somewhere along the way".
Allende chose to remain on the sidelines of the project and leave the work "to people who know the field".
"Dulce Rosa" relates the traumatic experience of young Rosa Orellano, played by Uruguayan soprano Maria Antunez, who, after a political uprising takes the life of her father, a powerful senator of a Latin American country, is raped by a guerrilla with whom she will later attempt to settle scores. ...
- Russian boy stabbed during family vacation in Greece given treatment at German hospital
- Greek Prostitution Soars By 150 As Youth Unempoyment Hits 75 In Some Areas
- EU may give Greece more time to meet fiscal targets-Dijsselbloem
- Taoiseach to meet Greek PM in Athens
- Panathinaikos Face Appeal Over Licence to Play in Greece
- New oral diarrhea vaccine shows promising results in phase I-study
- Home sales fall in Spain
- European leaders hold summit on tax evasion
- Italy has lowest graduate share in Europe
- US tourist stabbed in Italy loses kidney
- UK urged by IMF to bring forward high value spending
- European leaders hold summit on tax evasion
- Eurozones Recession Poised to Continue in Q2 as PMI Data Disappoints
- U.S. Israel raise hopes for Mideast peace restart
- Modest Gain In Eurozone PMI Revives Recovery Hopes
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- High demand for Muslim travel | ITB Berlin Survey Shows
- Video PKF overviews 2013 Annual Trends Survey Results
- Shopping around A Saks Neiman merger
- St. Paul OKs street merchants Grocery trucks in Mpls
- Angered Harris calls for ban on crooked spot-fixing players for turning cricket into joke
- Sunrise books CHF28.5m losses as mobile revenues drop
- Book Review The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
- Eoin Colfers top ten villains
- Amazon licenses fan fiction ebooks
- Google wants rational tax system following criticism over firms lesser tax transparency
- Yahoo Were listening to user feedback about Flickr revamp
- Google expanding Fiber to Raytown Mo.
- Therese Polettis Tech Tales Yahoo’s Flickr revamp irks loyal users
- Google others join Apple on hot seat over taxes
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Greek Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Commission withdraws ban on olive oil jugs in restaurants
- Ukrainians Flock to Crete
- Samaras Ireland has shown us the way back to growth markets
- Famed singer Georges Moustaki dies at 79
- Political Feud Holds Up Anti-Racism Bill