A year ago, Greece seemed on the verge of leaving the euro zone. Depositors were draining their savings from Greek banks and a radical left coalition that advocated a halt on debt repayments - default, in other words - seemed sure to win the election.You wouldn't recognize Greece today. Its credit rating has been upgraded, the Athens stock market is on fire and 10-year government bond ...
By Prokopis Hatzinikolaou Less than 5 percent of fines imposed on taxpayers by administrative courts in recent years have reached public coffers despite efforts being conducted through changes in tax legislation.Finance Ministry data show that the fines imposed for tax cases add up to 14 billion euros, or 7.2 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). This concerns fines imposed by the ...
Greek shipowners have chosen Chinese shipyards for the construction of at least 60 percent of the new vessels ordered in the last few years, Merchant Marine Minister Costis Mousouroulis told journalists in China in the context of Greek Prime Minister Antonis ...
The Finance Ministry confirmed on Monday that April was the first month this year that the targets for both direct and indirect taxes were achieved, as the budget deficit is less than half of what had been forecast.In the first four months of the year the balance of the budget showed a deficit of 2.425 billion euros against a deficit of 9.148 billion in the same period last year and a target for ...
By Yiannis Papadoyiannis National Bank has announced a reverse stock split in the context of its recapitalization, whereby 10 old shares will be traded for a new one at a price of 4.29 euros each, from 0.429 euros before the reverse split.The governing board of National decided on Monday that with the reverse split the existing number of 1,226,601,200 shares will be reduced to 122,660,120 ...
Tears of the Sun
Antoine Fuquas Tears of the Sun is a deeply confused film. On the one hand, it is a harrowing, often brutally violent look at the ravages of civil war in the African nation of Nigeria, replete with horrific images of ethnic cleansing, gang rape, and mutilation. On the other hand, it is a reactionary Bruce Willis action movie, according to one hack critic, The best since Die Hard! Ot ... ...
A contentious anti-racism bill appeared to be causing an ever-widening rift within the fragile coalition government on Monday, as the two junior partners, PASOK and Democratic Left, pushed for it to be submitted to Parliament without delay, conservative New Democracy insisted on key changes being made, while Justice Minister Antonis Roupakiotis appeared set to resign if his bill is watered ...
A 34-year-old man charged with setting fire to a store in central Athens last week has told police that he is part of a ...
Little Greek Restaurant franchise, which says it offers Greek food with an American touch, is coming to Little Rock, taking over the site that housed Cheeburger Cheeburger in ...
The Laboratory of International Relations and European Integration of the University of Macedonia is organizing an event to honor the Greek-by-choice Perdo Olalla, with the main subject, The role of humanism (at 12.00, at the University's event hall). Pedro Olalla Gonzalez de la Vega, born in 1966, in Oviedo, Spain, has multiple qualities: Hellenist, philologist, translator and filmmaker. ...
Piraeus Bank said on Monday day that profits surged in the first quarter, after a one-off gain on the book value of its Cypriot bank operations masked the effect of rising bad loans caused by the ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Turtle Bay Resort
This 4 star resort is located on the top of Oahu on the North Shore, and is one of Hawaii's ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Greek HeraldGreek Herald – Online News Agency: Greece News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Greek Herald is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Greek news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Greek news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Greek news, the weather forecast for Greece you'll find it all in the Greek Herald.
From Crete to Athens, the Greek Herald should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Under the baton of Placido Domingo, acclaimed Chilean writer Isabel Allende's short story "Una Venganza" ("An Act of Vengeance") emerges from the printed page as the opera "Dulce Rosa", a production with a Latin heart and Greek tragedy in its soul that premiered Friday in Los Angeles.
"Dulce Rosa" is a further effort by the L.A. Opera, directed by Domingo, to bring lyric opera to a wider audience.
"We're always looking to create new works," the Spanish tenor told EFE.
Domingo got behind the adaptation of "Una Venganza" when the idea was proposed to him by composer Lee Holdridge and librettist Richard Sparks, to whom Allende gave the go-ahead years ago without really expecting anything to come of it, she told EFE.
"It finally emerged, to my surprise," the author of "The House of the Spirits" said, adding that she often receives requests from artists to stage her stories but "only about 10 percent are used as proposed, the rest get lost somewhere along the way".
Allende chose to remain on the sidelines of the project and leave the work "to people who know the field".
"Dulce Rosa" relates the traumatic experience of young Rosa Orellano, played by Uruguayan soprano Maria Antunez, who, after a political uprising takes the life of her father, a powerful senator of a Latin American country, is raped by a guerrilla with whom she will later attempt to settle scores. ...
- Greece’s big economic recovery – for investors
- Greek week continues Little Greek Restaurant
- Popular Greek beach evacuated after swimmer discovers WWII artillery
- Restaurant Review Troy’s Kalamata Greek Grill has fast and tasty Mediterranean food
- Greece ETF An Emerging Markets Star
- Teen Dies of Cancer After Touching Millions With Song
- Past Differences Hamper US-Russian Efforts to Help Syria
- Sharif Calls for Peace Talks With Pakistani Taliban
- President Obama To Visit Senegal South Africa Tanzania
- Common foot deformities like bunion could be inherited
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Chinese Greenland and Melia open the first Greenland hotel in Europe.
- Asia Very Very Competitive for OTAs.
- Hidden Fees Theft in Plain Sight
- IHG loses big and pays compensation to Chinese owners.
- Eminems Music Publisher Suing Facebook
- Massive Okla. tornado had windspeed up to 200 mph
- Runaway mom begs for kids forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- Search for survivors begins after massive Okla. tornado
- Books of The Times And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- EMERGING MARKETS-Mexico stocks fall to 6-month low Brazil up
- Mexican stocks sink 2 pct trading at 6-month low
- Chinas Yuan Weakens to 6.1998 against USD Monday
- EMERGING MARKETS-Brazil stocks sink following weak earnings
- New Issue-Powerlong prices 800 mln renminbi 2016 bond
- Yahoo to buy Tumblr in $1.1bn deal
- Yahoo adds 1TB of free storage to Flickr in site revamp
- Yahoo looks to regain its cool with Tumblr deal
- Preview Google Maps glitch leading people down wrong street
- Yahoo confirms Tumblr deal for $1.1B
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Greek Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Greece’s big economic recovery – for investors
- Just 5 pct of tax fines cashed in
- Greek shipowners choose Chinese shipyards
- April meets revenue target from taxation
- National Bank announces reverse split and recap details